Translate

Thursday, October 2, 2008

New Orleans

Today was an adventure! It started out calmly enough. We made a stop in Laurel, MS to have a very nice lunch at the Laurel Country Club with Carolyn Mulloy. Durelle has known her for sixty years or so; I have known her for over fifty. It was a fun visit. From Laurel we drove to New Orleans. When we exited I-10, I told Durelle I wanted the "westbound directions (from Woodalls). In Woodalls it said, "from the west...). At any rate, she gave me the eastbound directions and we turned the wrong way off the exit ramp and quickly got introduced to a section of town that the chamber of commerce does not point out to visiting dignitaries. It was bad before Katrina, and it is worse now. I made some U-turns that rivaled the U-turn on highway 101 in CA. We finally found the RV park. It is astounding. It is an elegant spot, populated by high end rigs, but it is surrounded by a ten foot cinder block wall with electric, wrought iron gates. The guy at the counter that checked us in was wearing a dark blue baseball cap with "police" in white letters on the front. More ominously, he was carrying. I guess if we go into the French Quarter, we can say we went "outside the wire". We are set up. They have all the amenities, and we'll see what the weekend brings. Army almost pulled off a major upset at Texas A&M last weekend, so maybe we can get back on the plus side of the ledger against Tulane.
By the way, I should have mentioned a sign I saw in Gould, AR yesterday. It was in front of a local commercial business and it said, "Pre-Depression Sale".

No comments: