Translate

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Summer???











Today appears to be a classic summer day. I say appears because conditions have been changing dramatically in a matter of moments. Yesterday, after lunch, the skies suddenly darkened, dust rose in swirls, the leaves indecorously revealed their backsides, and the clouds turned into an ugly melange of greens, blue-grays and yellow. Most of the neighbors were away shopping, enjoying puffin cruises etc. Because of the benign weather when they left, their canopies were left out. Most were secured with guy wires to the ground, but they were still seriously threatened. So, I scrambled around stowing them on five rigs including ours. It took a bit of ladder work and some minor dismantling, but they were all down in twenty minutes or so. At which point the clouds blew away and the sun came out. At five-o-clock we began our weekly campground-wide happy hour. By five thirty big cold rains drops appeared out of an almost clear sky. By six it was done, and the rainbow had the best defined spectrum of colors I think I've ever seen. Even the violet was clearly delineated. There was also a harvest moon that I captured in one of the pictures.
Today I took some shots of cormorants, an ancient frigate and a lovely hydrangea blossom in the little memorial garden here. It's a lazy Saturday with the Kindle, a recliner and a squadron of sails on Penobscot Bay.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Very nice piece of writing, Dad. I'm as relaxed as if I were kicking back without a worry, too. The hydrangea is beautiful - if more than 2 months behind the South Carolina variety.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the hydrangea picture-it is beautiful! I'm glad the memorial garden is blooming. Love to all, Jeri