Translate

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Arrghhh

     We all have had our computer glitches. My recent one was particularly painful. I leave my computer on all the time. One morning last week, moving the mouse did not wake it up, so I powered down and restarted. When I opened a file, I dicovered that there had been no changes made in the past three months! With great trepidation, I checked some other fi!es... same result. I said, "No sweat, I'll just go to the external hard drive and recover them from there." Guess what? There was nothing current on the external hard drive, either. Like everyone, I had a lot of files; some more important than others. What was most painful, personally, was "My Story". I started a year ago, on an rregular basis, to create an autobiographical synopsis of my life. My most recent addition brought the word count to 12,000. Now I find that the most recent 6,800 words cannot be found.
     I worked with my son, Mark, using"WebEx". He could remotely control my computer. We did some cleaning, but no recovery. It is now at the Geek Squad. There is a virus, but I won't know the details until Friday.
     Remember the days of keeping a spare copy of your dissertation in the trunk, just in case? I should have remembered and emailed copies to myself, for example. The blog was not affected as it is trundled off to a Google server somewhere.
     This, too, will pass. The next version of those 6,800 words will be better than the last. Right?

No comments: