Translate

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Signing Off

    It has become more than apparent to both you and me over the past year or so that my thrice weekly postings have dwindled away to monthly at best. The reasons are almost equally apparent. It's hard to write a travel blog called Travels and Discoveries when you are doing neither. Also, it is impossible for me to conjure up any enthusiasm to write about a litany of our medical activities. Neither of us would enjoy a medical blog written by one with no medical acumen. I have therefore reluctantly decided to hang up the keyboard along with the keys.
     I started this blog 805 posts ago in May of 2008. We were the proud owners of a new, 40 foot Allegro Bus. An appropriate shakedown cruise was decided to be a lap around America. We were not rookies, even then. On three previous Class As and two popups we had well over 300,000 miles under our belts. As we made preparations, it became clear that it was going to be tedious using emails and/or telephones to disseminate an endless series of "safe arrival" messages to family and friends. A blog seemed to be the obvious answer. I thoroughly enjoyed creating those many little snippets of life on the road. I also greatly enjoyed the feedback I got from an assortment of readers. My camera may have been a bit intrusive from time to time, but a travel blog without pictures seemed pointless. 
     So, this will be the last issue of Travels and Discoveries. I haven't checked to see if I can download 805 posts on to a reasonable number of thumb drives, but I will find some appropriate archive medium. I am not going to attempt to summarize over a decade of adventures here. I will, however, include a few of the more memorable pictures for your perusal.

June 2008   The Moorings


Now, this is camping!


Yes, we did make it to Alaska.


Mt.Rushmore


Devil's Tower


Little Big Horn


Old Faithful


Up close and personal


Crater Lake


USAFA


Happy Hour in Maine

     I'm clearly reaching the limit of pixels per blog, so I'll close with just one more picture. It was taken in May of 2010 on the North Dock Parking Lot at West Point. The chauffeur is the one on the left.  



3 comments:

Dan Taylor said...

It has been fun to follow along over the years! I will try to send photos from the "back country" camp sites when I can.

jsfare said...

A job well done, sir! We've enjoyed every post, word, picture.

Jackie and John

feeding said...

We will miss reading your blog/updates. It's been a pleasure to be part of the journey through your eyes.
We will stay in touch via email.
Wendy and Tim