Translate

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Building some Adirondack Chairs

     Although I haven't been posting much, I haven't been totally idle.  One of the current projects is building a pair of Adirondack chairs.  Some of you remember the two folding Adirondack chairs we used for many years.  They were painted pine, and they are now compost.  Cindy's copy is still on her screen porch.  These are being made out of local cypress, which is famous for being relatively impervious to rot.  There are 22 pieces in each chair, so I have been taking my time.  You can see from the picture that I have a rather modest woodworking shop in the garage.  Most of the time the tools are arranged so that the Corvette fits in the garage.  When I have to spread out, it gets parked in the driveway along with the Jeep.
     This is not an economic venture.  You could find some nailed together, painted pine chairs for $39.95.  I paid $120 just for the cypress.  With all stainless steel hardware and a $20 caulking tube of marine adhesive, there is no profit in these things. 
     The picture shows the table saw (currently being used as an assembly table) a planer, and a drill press.  Except for a bunch of hand tools, that's all there is. 
 
 
       Speaking of hand tools, the next picture shows the work bench.  It is currently in the "mid-project" mode and is very cluttered.  Normally, it is pretty well cleaned up.
 
        Note that the pegboard panels roll on sliding door hardware to give me 12 feet of space over an 8 foot bench.
     Tomorrow I'm going to the Charleston Food and Wine Festival.  It runs for five days with a bunch of high end events.  I'm going to the big tent in Marion Square for a three hour food tasting.  I hope it will provide some good photo ops for another blog.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you think that's messy you should see my dad's workbench!