Translate

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

We are on the road!

     Here's the bus sitting in front of the house on the 24th.  We did get away on the 25th at 1000.  It was amazing the number of "glitches" that we had to absorb on the last few days.  We had planned to leave on the 23rd, but the prior medical appointments generated some follow ups.  The dermatologist said to come back on Monday, and the GP scheduled Durelle for an appointment with a cardiologist on Tuesday.  It turns out that the appointment was justified but unnecessary.  Plus it knocked a three hour hole in our preparation schedule.  I picked up the bus on Monday from Wayne McCoy and his crew at ProTech.  They did a great job with a couple of issues and washed it up for our trip.  As we started getting things done at home, the big transfer switch that selects between "shore" power and the generator failed to recognize that the bus was plugged in.  I turned off the AC and waited for Tuesday.  Then when I called to reactivate the DirecTV in the bus, my cell phone said, "mobile service not available".  I called Verizon on Durelle's phone and reset mine by removing the battery and rebooting.  The transfer switch fixed itself overnight.  Of course when I removed the supply of quarters from the Corvette to supplement our jar for newspapers, I left the door open which discharged the battery.  I recharged it for Walter McCants to use while we were gone.  Cindy was a MAJOR help in carrying laundry baskets of stuff out to the bus.  Even neighbors chipped in.  Just when I thought everything was under control, I tried to post a blog.  Apparently there was a reluctant Internet Explorer/Google connection, and I could not get access to the blog.  A quick (no cost) trip to the Geek Squad at Best Buy gave me a work around.
     So, we finally got on the road.  While we were loading, I dropped a glass jar of bouillon cubes which shattered on the tile floor.  We cleaned it up, but the driver's side slide was not out.  Today, when I put the slide out, there was a scary, crunchy noise.  We inspected inside and out, and gradually eased the slide out.  It turns out that there were a couple of pieces of broken glass that the slide had to crunch on the way out.  Now we are back in business.  Life is not boring.  
     Today was a hot one.  Midday outside temperatures were 95 degrees.  The dash Air Conditioner worked just fine, but it was at its limit.  We pulled into Lake City, FL just after 1600, plugged in and turned on both ACs.  The inside temperature was soon down into the 70's.  The final glitch was that all of the route-planning that I had done on Delorme was nowhere to be found, so I had to do it all over tonight.  Things will settle down!
     

No comments: