Translate

Friday, November 11, 2011

11/11/11

     It has been two weeks since I have posted, so I thought it was time to let you know that I am alive and well.  The foot surgery is now a couple of weeks past, and the PT has started.  Do you know the difference between a terrorist and a therapist?  You can negotiate with a terrorist.  Seriously the fine folks I am dealing with are doing a great job.
     Cindy asked me yesterday if I would join her at the the local (Hanahan) Veteran's Day memorial activities.  I, of course, accepted.  There is a nice courtyard and memorial site in front of city hall.  It was your typical small town festivity...small, unpretentious, and intimate.  There were probably less than a hundred people there, but it was done professionally.  I am glad I went.  The three flagpoles shown below carry the flags of the country, the state, and the city.
     As you can see, the weather was ideal.  The colors were presented by the high school JROTC color guard.  They stood at attention behind the podium for an hour.  It must have seemed like an eternity for them.  I have seen many color guards, but these four high school guys were excellent.  The program was well organized and limited to an hour.  It contained the usual elements including a few words from the mayor, a legally blind, retired schoolteacher named Minnie Blackwell.
     There were a couple of other speakers who were brief but effective.  The main speaker was an 88 year old, long time resident of Hanahan who told us about the at sea capture of a German submarine on 4 Jun 1944 off the west coast of Africa.  It was the first such capture of a man of war on the open seas since 1815 and resulted in a crucial capture of German submarine codes.  His five kids and several grandkids and greatgrands were there.  We should all be so active and positive as he is at 88.
     The conclusion of the ceremonies involved a Charleston Police Officer with a bagpipe.  I can assure you that no one made any disparaging remarks about his "skirt".  The guy is at least 6'2" and looks as tender as a roll of barbed wire.
     After the ceremonies, Cindy said, "Can I take a veteran to lunch?"  I, of course, accepted again.  We went to a local Greek place and had a nice lunch.  
     As a non-combat type, I have some difficulty sharing in the good will being extended to veterans these days.  Still, I know I have done my part and that I have made a difference.
     Happy Veterans Day

1 comment:

Dan Taylor said...

Glad to see you posting again! Thank you for your service.