Translate

Monday, February 29, 2016

The Bluebird of Happiness

     Much to her disappointment, Ann Dunn did not get to see our backyard pair of Eastern Bluebirds.  They departed just before the Dunns arrived.  Yesterday morning they reappeared, and Durelle said, "Photo-op!"  So, I slowly slipped outside, camera in hand, to see if I could be lucky enough to have them hold still for me.  Below are several pictures because the ones showing a good perspective did not show the distinguishing color and vice-versa.





     A few years ago I built a bluebird house and mounted it on a fence post.  It has been thoroughly explored but never occupied.  There is no doubt that they are Eastern Bluebirds.  While I was out there with the camera, one of our resident American Eagles made an appearance.  I never tire of watching them.



     If you look closely, you can see the pupil of his (her?) eye.  Note also the unusual crossed feet he is using to perch on that branch of the sweet gum tree.  We are located only twelve miles (as the eagle flies) from the heart of the historic district of downtown Charleston with many large commercial areas in between, so we consider ourselves very fortunate to be able to watch the variety of wildlife that we can.
     My spinal fusion surgery has finally been scheduled.  Unfortunately, it won't be until 29 March.  I will need a faster than usual recuperation to be able to get away before the 1st of July.  I still vividly remember my father's recuperation for an early version of that surgery in 1950.  In his case the devices to fuse the vertebrae were bone spacers extracted from his pelvis rather than the titanium devices in use today.  As a result, he wore a hip-to-armpit body cast for six(!) months.  I guess guys were tougher then.

No comments: