Translate

Friday, June 26, 2009

Back to school

I haven't posted for three days for two reasons. First, the weather has been consistently dreary. Dreary weather is not a depressing event, however. We have a cozy abode, a fine view, and several close friends here with whom we share lifestyles and interests. The weather does cut down on photography. The second factor is that I have been out of gas in the afternoon. Today I actually scheduled a nap. The reason is that I have been teaching summer school at the Belfast Area High School. There were summer schools offered there for math, science, English and social studies. In the case of math there were about a dozen and a half in all of the various math subjects. One teacher was going to handle all of them in a "one room schoolhouse' approach. After I volunteered, they broke out the four geometry students and left her with about dozen or so students taking several levels of algebra. So from 0730 to 1330 for eight consecutive weekdays I am teaching geometry to four students who have just finished their sophomore or junior years. I have done a lot of teaching and tutoring at several levels, but this is as demanding as any I have ever done. I confess that part of the problem is a reduced level of stamina, but the task would be challenging for any teacher. To give you an idea of the intensity, my new Kindle arrived Wednesday but I couldn't get to it until Thursday. I'll recoup over the weekend. Tomorrow we are going to move fore and aft and relevel the rig and defrost the refrigerator.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Dad. They're lucky to have you.

rwarneck said...

Hey Frank enjoy the cool weather for us. The temperature reached 102 here in Dallas yesterday.
We are coming to Belfast the last of Sept. and will be staying in Susan's sister's bldg. downtown. Maybe we can have a happy hour there one evening?/
Tell everyone " Hello " for us.
Roy & Susan Warnecke