Translate

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Settling into a routine

We have been here five days. We've been to Bangor to pick up a couple of minor, routine items for the bus. We've had some clam chowda and some haddock...twice. Once via fish 'n chips at the Sea Dog brew pub in Bangor and I baked a couple of filets last night. We've done our grocery shopping for a while. It may be time to crank up the energy to give the bus a good washing...but not just yet.
This morning at 0745 I had an appointment with Butch Arthers, the principal of the Belfast Area High School. Summer school starts in three weeks where I hope to be a volunteer tutor. I hope the certification process (background check and fingerprints) will be completed in time. Sitting in the front office of a high school is a trip down the lane of distant memories...the girl coming out of the principal's office with her head down dabbing at tears, several harried parents dropping off forgotten lunches, late students signing in and getting a pass to go to their first class, the PA announcements and the pledge of alliegance. There was something Norman Rockwell-ish about the scene.
After the high school I went down to the Waldo County General Hospital and made an orthopedic appointment for the tender (torn/strained?) calf muscle. Along the way, in a nice residential area I saw a flock of a dozen or so wild turkeys. A couple of the toms looked to be twenty pounds.
I was back at the bus at 0830, a typical get up time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad, you paint a word picture that Rockwell could appreciate. Sounds like you're off to a wonderfully relaxing summer with just a touch of productivity to satisfy your inner Calvinist.

Unknown said...

Frank and Durelle -- I just did some catch-up on your blog. I got Ted to sit beside me while I read "your story". We enjoyed it very much. If only Ted could see the beautiful pictures. We are alone this weekend. It's only 48 degrees and rainy. Not a nice day. I hope this system moves southeasterly and not East/Northeast! Have a good time all summer. And thanks for letting us be a part of your adventures. Ted and Esther