Translate

Sunday, June 1, 2008

New Hampshire

Well, we get to sit for a spell. We arrived in Brookline, NH after a 400 mile day...the only one on our itinerary. There were some heavy showers yesterday in Intercourse, PA, but we spent some time watching a presentation at the Amish Experience Theater and ate and did a little shopping at the Kettle Kitchen Market Place. We ate at the Kline restaurant. I had a seafood crepe and, of course, we had to split a piece of shoofly pie. When we got back to the campground, we were sitting outside watching golf (of course) when up trots an Amish horse and buggy with some Amish youngsters selling, of all things, homemade whoopie pies (sp?). We bought a couple, and they are pretty good.
We were on the road by 0730 because we were erroneously anticipating a 480 mile day. I had reprogrammed our route on the Delorme Street Atlas and failed to remove all the outdated designated "vias". We really only had about 390 miles, but the software had me backtracking to pick up a no longer relevant "via". Some of you will know what I am talking about.
We took 30 east from Intercourse to 100 north to I 78 east to I 287 north and east over the Tappan Zee bridge. The toll was $22.50! Then we took I 684 north to I 84 in Brewster, CT thence to the Mass Pike for one exit and I 290 and I 190 north to route 13 to Brookline, NH. We had lunch at the CT welcoming center at exit 2 in CT arriving precisely at noon. Again I ran the generator all day because the fridge does not want to run on propane. Good news! When we set up here, the fridge decided to run on propane. I guess there was a piece of soot or ash preventing ignition that got jostled away over the course of a kilo-mile.
We are looking forward to staying in one place for three weeks and making connections with family and friends here in NH. I promise that by the next post, I will have figured out how to post some of the pictures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't seem to remember us getting lost when we used the old-fashioned Rand McNally map, back in the day. Just sayin'.