Translate

Monday, August 4, 2008

Copper Harbor III





We did do about 50 miles of touring. We visited an old copper mine. This area is blessed with widely available patches of what the locals call thimble berries which are much like a large raspberry. I ate the one in the picture and later bought some thimbleberry jelly. There is the requisite shot of the Eagle Harbor light house. This area is sometimes a lot like Maine with no tides.
I have been accused of making this a culinary blog instead of a travel blog. It is difficult sometimes to separate them. The water scene is undistinguished except for the fact that it was taken through a restaurant window from my seat at the table!! I also included a shot of the back (street) side of the restaurant. I have previously described Copper Harbor as an end of the earth outpost characterized by snowmobiles and wood stoves. The Harbor Haus belies all those impressions. Durelle had beef rouladen, braised red cabbage and German potato salad. I had braised bison short ribs, roasted vegetables and wild mushroom risotto. For an appetizer we split gratineed oysters with spinach, Parmesan, bacon and a bit of cream.
Next stop...Green Bay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a Stouffer's cheesy rigatoni dinner with a side of 100-calorie jello pudding.
Jealous much?

Mark Cloutier said...

I've been reading this blog for weeks hoping to catch Dad in a spelling error, finally did. I believe it is requisite that you visit Alaska for real. :)