Translate

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Morse's Saurkraut

     Today a bunch of us took a one hour drive south to Morse's Sauerkraut and Euro Deli in Waldoboro.  But before I talk about that, I'd like to include a picture which portrays "A Lobster Feed, the Morning After".
     Morse's Sauerkraut and Euro Deli is a unique institution about seven miles west of route 1 in Waldoboro, ME.  They have been around for nearly a hundred years with initially a word-of -mouth reputation for the best sauerkraut around.  Today, this nondescript place, almost in the middle of nowhere, had a waiting line at two-o-clock on a weekday afternoon.  The menu features all sorts of German fare with an emphasis on sausage, spaetzle, schnitzel, etc.  A main part of the place is a delicatessen to end all delicatessens.  Would you like some sugar beet syrup?  They got it.  I dropped 65 bucks in the deli before we sat down to eat, and I didn't get any sugar beet syrup.
     After we left Morse's, we headed over to Dorman's, a legendary ice cream stand in Rockland for over fifty years.  While I passed, three of our party decided that they could still hold a banana split.  As I sat in the car they enthusiastically consumed a few more calories.  Below is Eleanor Roth and Bernie Dunn with theirs.
     Dick Roth also indulged.
     We got back to the Moorings just before our usual 1700 hrs Happy Hour.  Tonight there were NO hors d'ouevres.  I barely had room for an olive in my martini, and I hadn't had any ice cream.
     Durelle, unfortunately, did not accompany us.  Baxter is on Prednisone for his healing hotspot which means a lot of water and frequent urination.  Since Durelle had not had access to the surfeit of food that we had, I fixed her a nice hamburger sandwich for supper.  Hey, it was the least I could do.

No comments: